Meridian Cable is proud to announce that we have met the rigorous demands to achieve the well-respected IATF 16959 certification. This standard applies to automotive quality management systems and is only provided to those who demonstrate true quality in everything they do. From customer service to reducing defects in products, the team at Meridian is proud that the work we do every day meets the criteria to obtain this leading certification in manufacturing.
Read on as we cover what the IATF 16949 certification is and why it’s so sought after for products related to land-based transportation applications.
What is an IATF 16949 Certification?
The IATF 16949 is known as the “International Standard for Automotive Quality Management Systems”. Obtaining this certification is no easy task. A manufacturer will have to demonstrate continual improvement within their quality management. This deals with everything from quality assurance in products to minimizing any waste in the supply chain. As for the IATF itself, that’s the International Automotive Task Force, which in conjunction with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), developed this certification specifically for the automotive industry.
IATF 16949 wants to see that a manufacturer has quality at the forefront of everything they do. Quality that is embedded in an organization is going to showcase itself throughout the day-to-day operations. Quality assurance and quality control (QAQC) are factors that are measured and then set as a benchmark. With continued improvement to processes relative to this benchmark, a manufacturer is demonstrating a superior commitment to quality, which, in essence, is the hallmarks of IATF 16949 certification.
Being recognized with our IATF 16949 certification is one reason why our team remains confident that we are providing the caliber of product that our customers have come to expect from us.
Benefits of IATF 16949 Certification in Cable Assemblies
When you see that a custom cable manufacturer has IATF 16949 certification, you know that this company is truly excelling in the quality of their product, people, and processes. This three-prong approach to overall quality improvement translates into better products and better experiences for customers.
Gaining this IATF 16949 certification takes a lot of work, but creates a lot of benefits to the organization itself, including:
- Increasing the efficiency of processes and improving the effectiveness of each input.
- Ensuring the continued satisfaction of customers, including all touch points.
- Overall continued improvement for the organization.
- Dramatically reducing or even eliminating defects in custom cable assemblies.
- Cutting lead times, improving processes, and removing all waste from the supply chain.
All of these benefits are passed on to the clients in each and every project we undertake. Whether it’s cable assemblies to be used in industrial control systems within an automotive plant or OEM parts manufacturing, our team’s continued commitment to total quality management doesn’t just raise the bar, it sets it again and again.
Industries that Rely on IATF 16949 Certification Expertise
Companies with IATF certification are some of the top automotive manufacturers in the world including BMW Group, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, and Volkswagen AG. With any kind of land-based transportation, IATF really matters in the quality of the product. Automotive companies like those above and OEMs rely on custom cable manufacturers to be able to deliver the perfect assembly to integrate into their systems and IATF 16949 certification is a way to demonstrate that your capabilities are up to the task.
At Meridian, we have decades of experience providing custom cable assemblies for some of the most demanding applications on the planet. In this time, we’ve built up incredible expertise and an impressive tool crib for delivering the perfect solution to even the most complex specifications. Obtaining our IATF 16949 certification publicly demonstrates what we were already doing internally and is a testament to the men and women who make it happen here every day.
Why IATF Certification Matters
As we’ve seen, automotive stakeholders look for IATF-certified manufacturers to be assured that they are going to get a solution that’s safe, functions well, and is built to stand up to everything required of the assembly. Additionally, IATF certification matters because of what it means the company is doing within their organization.
Results you’ll see that come from doing everything required to obtain certification can include:
- Customer Satisfaction – when a client has a fantastic experience, they are more likely to continue doing business with you. Relationships are incredibly important in custom cable manufacturing because the stakes are just that high for the necessity of integrity in product and process. Whether it’s a cutting-edge medical device or the automotive cable assembly inside a family’s SUV, these systems simply have to work. IATF certification says that the manufacturer is committed to making sure their customers are absolutely taken care of every step of the project.
One way we do this is by continuing to improve project management. Staying on time and on budget is something that an experienced custom cable manufacturer should bring to the table.
- Lower Operating Costs – when waste is reduced from the manufacturing process, it results in efficiencies, which in turn reduce how much input is required to garner the same result. Lower operating costs means we have more money to invest in things like recruiting the best people, keeping them current with training and development, purchasing new technology, and generally improving how we do what we do. This mentality of continued improvement is at the heart of IATF 16949 certification.
- Better Relationships – custom cable manufacturing is all about relationships. Relationships with suppliers, vendors, clients, and even our own people are vital to our success. With the IATF 16949 certification, we are also showing a commitment to improving these relationships. Whether that results in a better price on a UL-listed component for a cable assembly or a better deal from a vendor, these improvements trickle down into positive effects in myriad ways.
- Increased Procurement Opportunities – specifically when designing MILSPEC cable assemblies, procurement officials are looking at certifications like the IATF 16949 to find the best option to meet their needs. Having this certification means that a cable assembly manufacturer can provide services to a wider range of applications, which in turn can increase capability.
- Respected Globally – the top automotive manufacturers and OEMs are looking for the IATF 16949 because it sets the bar so high for quality. This certification is well-known and well-respected throughout the world. With manufacturing operations both in the U.S. and in China, Meridian is a true global custom cable manufacturer which is why an internationally-recognized quality standard is so important.
- Consistency in Improvement Methodology – this is really important in cable assembly manufacturing because you need to have a standard for quality management systems. Having your IATF 16949 means you have a gold standard, with the framework needed to achieve the level of quality that the automotive sector demands. Consistency means that the exceptional level of service is achieved over and over again.
The benefits that originate from IATF 16949 certification work their way throughout the organization and serve to make it better as a whole. Increased efficiency in operations across the board means that every member of the organization is contributing towards making the company incrementally better each and every day.
IATF 16949 certification is something we are definitely very proud of at Meridian. We’re also really proud that this is adding to other industry-recognized certifications we already have, some of which we’ve maintained for decades.
Other certifications that really add validity to the quality of what we produce here at Meridian include ISO 9001:2015 certification and UL Certifications.
- ISO 9001:2015 – this certification is very similar in nature to the IATF 16949 certification in that it revolves around a demonstrable commitment to improvement of quality across many different sectors. While the IATF certification we’ve achieved pertains to the automotive industry, ISO 9001 applies to a wide range of different industries. We’re incredibly proud to have maintained this distinction since 2000 because it means we’ve never really stopped in our pursuit of doing things that much better each and every time.
- UL Certifications – a huge benefit of being a UL approved wire and cable extruder and a UL approved manufacturing facility is that it means we can help get your product certified through UL. Our clients also know that they can count on the level of quality that stands behind every cable assembly we produce.
Having IATF 16949, ISO 9001, and UL certification is a potent combination of capability. We know that our clients demand nothing less than perfection in design, which is what we impart every member of our team to contribute towards. Working as a cohesive unit of experienced professionals, the team at Meridian continues to produce cable assemblies that are trusted around the world.
Getting Started with an IATF Certified Custom Cable Manufacturer
From the very first interaction with our clients, our team sets out to make it the best experience possible. Contact us now to get started. We’ll work to understand all your needs and tailor the perfect solution.